Cows are common low level monsters new players train on. They are one of the first NPCs new players see in Lumbridge. Cows can help new players earn money, Cooking experience, and combat experience. The cowhides that they drop can be tanned to make leather or hard leather, or they can be sold for coins to players wanting to raise their Crafting level. While most locations containing cows are crowded, there are some spots usually vacant, like the spot north of the windmill north-west of Lumbridge. Along with cows, you can also find cow calves and dairy cows.
- Lumbridge (northeast of Fred the Farmer's farm and southwest of Al Kharid mine)
- Crafting Guild
- Farm south of Falador
- North of the windmill north-west of Lumbridge
- North of the farming patch in south-east Zeah
- Sinclair Mansion
- Cows, while generally weak, are immune to poison and venom. This is reportedly due to a conflict with their 'Moo' timing interrupting poison and venom's timers.
- There is a very small chance for a cow to appear inside Nightmare Zone. According to Mod Mat K (confirming player speculation), this is an easter egg referring to the cow in the area to start a dream, which couldn't be moved when the minigame was developed due to the lack of a map editor.
- Using an item on a Cow prompts the message "The cow doesn't want that." as opposed to the usual "Nothing interesting happens."