Desert heat is an effect found in the desert area of Old School RuneScape. Desert heat does damage to a player while they are within a desert area that is further south than Shantay Pass. In order to counteract the effects of desert heat a player must carry a waterskin. Every time the player would be affected by desert heat, they will automatically take a drink from their waterskin, thereby preventing any damage from being dealt. Note that players are immune to desert heat while within the boundaries of towns. Players will also not drink from their waterskin or take damage from desert heat while a dialogue box is open.
Without water, the heat deals around 10 damage. This can kill players; those with a low Hitpoints level, particularly hardcore ironman users, should always enter the desert fully prepared. Conversely, high-level players can withstand thirst damage for longer.
Protective clothes and gear
- Waterskins - Waterskins allow a player to survive the desert's heat effect, and usually come in 4 doses of water. Each time a player drinks, a dose of water is used up.
- Choc-ice - Players who go to Nardah can buy choc-ice from Rokuh. They also heal 6 hitpoints.
Certain clothes protect against desert heat, by extending the time between drinks of water. These include:
- Desert amulet 4 - provides 100% protection against desert heat. Requires completion of the Elite Desert Diary.
- Desert clothing - The set consists of a desert shirt, desert robe, and desert boots. These clothes are completely white and closely resemble Druid's robes. The robes can be purchased from Shantay at Shantay Pass, or from Ali Morrisane in Al Kharid.
- Desert outfit - This outfit can be purchased from Ali Morrisane in Al Kharid during or after the miniquest Rogue Trader. The outfit differs slightly for male and female players.
- Menaphite clothing - The robes can be purchased from Ali Morrisane in Al Kharid during or after miniquest Rogue Trader. They come in two colour schemes: purple and red.
- Prospector kit - The prospector kit can be purchased from Prospector Percy in the Motherlode Mine using golden nuggets obtained randomly through cleaning pay-dirt.
Note that players do not have to wear an entire set for the protecting effect to happen. Each piece contributes to the protection. However, full sets provide the most protection.
|Desert outfit||+0||+12 top, +6 coat||+12 (both types)||N/A|
- Base time between drinks or damage is 90 seconds.
- Maximum time between drinks is 132 seconds. This can be achieved by wearing Desert Robes in combination with a Menaphite hat.