|Start point||The Mage of Zamorak at the end of the River Lum in the Wilderness (Roams levels 4-7).|
|Description||In the Abyss miniquest, the player helps the Zamorakians access the rune essence mines so that they can craft their own runes. Previously, it had been a Saradominist secret, but the Mage of Zamorak asks for the player's help in learning it.|
|Length||Short, long without teleports|
Warning: Hardcore Ironmen should be extremely cautious as the miniquest is started by travelling to level 4-7 Wilderness, with a chance of getting killed by other players.
|Enemies to defeat||None|
- Follow the River Lum near Edgeville until you reach the Mage of Zamorak, or travel north over the Wilderness ditch; he wanders around Level 4-7 Wilderness. Talk to him, and he will explain to you that it is too dangerous to talk in the Wilderness.
Note: If you are wearing any Saradomin or Guthix items, the mage will NOT speak with you. Therefore, it is best to unequip any and all god related items (with the exception of Zamorakian items) before starting a conversation with the mage of Zamorak. Simply putting the items in your inventory is enough, so you don't need to bank them.
- Ask him where he gets his runes from when the question is available. He will tell you about the Abyss and that he is having problems. Say that you will help him.
Getting the readings
- He will then give you a scrying orb. He will explain that you need to travel to the rune essence mine from three different locations with the orb in your inventory. This will give the scrying orb readings of where you travelled from and how you got there.
- Travel to the rune essence mines from three of the five locations.
- It is suggested you travel from Aubury in Varrock, Archmage Sedridor in the basement of the Wizards' Tower (south of Draynor Village) and Wizard Cromperty in East Ardougne (northeast of the marketplace).
- One may also travel from Brimstail at his cave southwest of the Grand Tree or Wizard Distentor at the Wizards' Guild.
- When you are done, go back to the chaos temple in Varrock. Speak to the Zamorakian Mage, and he will give you 1,000 Runecrafting experience, an abyssal book and a small pouch, used to hold 3 rune essence. Read the book, then speak to him again, asking "So what is this 'abyss' stuff?" He will tell you to talk to him in the wilderness to be teleported to the Abyss, and you complete the miniquest.
- You must speak to the mage of Zamorak after finishing the quest in order to enter the Abyss otherwise he will tell you to talk to him again in Varrock when you try to teleport in the Wilderness.
- Ability to enter the Abyss
- 1,000 Runecrafting experience
- A small pouch (able to carry 3 pure essence or rune essence)
Required for completing
Completion of the Abyss miniquest is required for the following: