Free-to-play, also known as F2P, is the free version of RuneScape where no payment to Jagex is required to play. Players who play the free version of RuneScape are known as "Free players", "F2Ps", or "Non-members". This is in contrast to members, who pay a fee for access to a much larger map and a multitude of skills, items, quests, and activities, which are not available to free-to-play users. It is worth noting that free-to-play users can gain access to membership through in-game purchases of membership bonds.
Anyone with a valid RuneScape account can access free-to-play servers.
Free-to-play was released permanently on the 19th of February, due to people voting yes in the poll for the introduction of free-to-play along with membership bonds. Before this a 2-week F2P trial existed for new accounts.
Free-to-play has access to 15 skills and maximum total level for them is 1493.
The skills are:
- Melee skills: File:Attack-icon.png attack, File:Strength-icon.png strength and File:Defence-icon.png defence (and File:Hitpoints-icon.png Hitpoints)
- File:Ranged-icon.png Ranged
- File:Magic-icon.png Magic with limited access to standard spells
- Strike, bolt and elemental blast spells plus Crumble Undead
- Confuse, Weaken, Curse and Bind spells
- Level 1, 2, 3 and 4 enchantments (limited to amulets for free-to-play)
- Home, Varrock, Lumbridge and Falador Teleports and Telekinetic Grab
- Bones to Bananas, Low Level Alchemy, High Level Alchemy and Superheat Item
- Magic armour is limited to blue and black wizard robes and staves to four elemental staves, Magic staff, regular staff and Skull sceptre
- File:Prayer-icon.png Prayers are available up to level 45 Mystic Might
- File:Runecrafting-icon.png Runecrafting elemental, mind and body runes
- File:Mining-icon.png Mining and File:Smithing-icon.png Smithing
- File:Crafting-icon.png Crafting
- File:Fishing-icon.png Fishing and File:Cooking-icon.png Cooking
- File:Woodcutting-icon.png Woodcutting and File:Firemaking-icon.png Firemaking
There are relatively few monsters in free-to-play, partly due to there being only six dungeons in the free-to-play map. The dungeons are:
- Asgarnia Ice Dungeon (Skeletal Wyvern area not included)
- Crandor and Karamja Dungeon
- Dwarven mine (Motherlode Mine not included)
- Edgeville Dungeon (Wilderness part not included)
- Stronghold of Security
- Varrock Sewer
Some monsters have restricted drop tables in F2P and it should be noted that all areas, such as the Wilderness, do not contain all of the monsters found in members servers.
There are 18 free-to-play quests with a total of 39 available quest points. With 32 quest points Champions' Guild becomes available and players may start arguably the most challenging free-to-play quest: Dragon Slayer.
Armor Worn Limitation
Players will find that there are many items they cannot equip unless they are members, should one browse their combat stat guides. (Players can find these guides in-game, by clicking on their Attack, Strength, or Defence levels.
All-though there are a great quantity of items unavailable, Non-members are still priviledged with the use of all metal armors and weapons (aside from claws and the like) as well as Wizard Robes and hats, Leather / Hard / Studded leather armor, and Dragonhide armor.
Limited Bank Size
Non-members in Runescape will discover an increase in bank size when they attain the membership status; which used to be an immense relief for players.
More recently however, the Oldscape developers have given both Members and Non-members a vast amount of extra banking space for reasons unknown. This was the result of a poll.
These are a new item, which can be purchased with real world cash, or purchased in-game. These can be redeemed in-game for a period of Membership playtime. In other-words, one could make gold and play membership content for free!
Free-to-Play in shortthumb|link=File:Quest-icon.png
While there are many limitations, to the game that are members only, Free to play still yields an abundance of gaming experience and quality for players. On paper, Free To Play looks like a demo of the full game; but in F2P runescape, it already feels like you're playing a full game because there is still so much one can do without a subscription.
There are 12 free-to-play servers located in United States, United Kingdom and Germany. Four of the servers are themed and server 385 is so-called bot world and can't be accessed from the manual server selection list.
|List of Worlds|
|301||United States||Trade - Free|
|308||United Kingdom||Wilderness PK - free style|
|316||United Kingdom||Wilderness PK - free style|
|385||United Kingdom||Bot world|
|393||United States||Clan Wars - Free|