Fishing uses two types of items, divided into consumables and equipment. Consumables are used up at the rate of one item for each fish caught and are stackable, while the equipment is non-stackable and reusable.
- Net fishing: Small fishing net, no consumable
- Bait fishing: Fishing rod, fishing bait
- Fly fishing: Fly fishing rod, feathers
- Harpooning: Harpoon, no consumable
- Cage fishing: Lobster pot, no consumable
|Shrimps||1||10||1||30||Net||3||Can be caught at seas.|
|Sardines||5||20||1||40||Bait||4||Can be caught at seas.|
|Herring||10||30||5||50||Bait||5||Can be caught at seas.|
|Anchovies||15||40||1||30||Net||1||Can be caught at seas.|
|Trout||20||50||15||70||Fly||7||Can be caught at rivers.|
|Pike||25||60||20||80||Bait||8||Can be caught at rivers.|
|Salmon||30||70||25||90||Fly||9||Can be caught at rivers.|
|Tuna||35||80||30||100||Harpoon||10||Can be caught at Karamja/Corsair Cove.|
|Lobster||40||90||40||120||Pot||12||Can be caught at Karamja/Corsair Cove.|
|Swordfish||50||100||45||140||Harpoon||14||Can be caught at Karamja/Corsair Cove.|
Net fish for shrimp. Good locations include:
- South of Draynor Village bank.
- South of the Al Kharid bank. (Beware of Scorpions, they wander around and will interrupt your fishing)
- South of the Lumbridge Graveyard near the Fishing Tutor.
At level 15, you will begin to catch anchovies too.
- Starting experience - 0
- Experience needed - 4,470
- Shrimps needed - 447 (4,470 experience)
- Anchovies needed (from 15 to 20) - 139 (2,085 experience)
Fly fish trout at either Barbarian Village or Lumbridge. Once you have reached level 30, you will begin catching salmon and can expect to receive between 30,000 and 50,000 Fishing experience per hour. If you choose to drop your fish rather than bank them, you will gain slightly more experience per hour.
- Starting experience - 4,470
- Experience needed - 32,754
- Trout needed - 656 (32,800 experience)
- Salmon needed (from 30-40) - 341 (23,870 experience)
Level 40-50 – Lobster
Fish lobsters at Musa Point. Optionally, if you've completed Dragon Slayer, you can use the Corsair Cove Resource Area to fish lobster. At level 50, it is better to catch swordfish/tuna instead as doing so will yield slightly better exp/hour. Lobsters provide better profit/hour than fly fishing, but at the cost of reduced exp/hour (20,000 to 30,000, as opposed to 30,000 to 50,000)
- Starting experience - 37,270
- Experience needed - 37,224
- Lobsters needed - 414 (37,224 experience)
Harpoon Swordfish at Musa Point. Optionally, if you've completed Dragon Slayer, you can use the Corsair Cove Resource Area to harpoon fish. You will also catch tuna, which you should drop. This method will yield up to 30,000 experience per hour.
- Starting experience - 737,650
- Experience needed - 12,334,051
- Tunas needed - 154,176 (12,334,080 experience) or
- Swordfish needed - 123,341 (12,334,100 experience).