When training Ranged, it's highly recommended to always use the best armour you can afford. If using throwing knives, it's suggested to use iron knives as they're the cheapest and hit fairly accurately. It's also recommended to use ranged potions once you get around level 40.
Levels 1 - 10
Tip: Start off using Rapid firing mode.
Levels 10 - 20
Once you've hit level 10 Ranged, move onto the cow pen just south east of the Lumbridge chickens. Here you will be dealing with NPC's with slightly higher Hitpoints. If you wish you can pick up the cowhide and sell it in the Grand Exchange, banking in Lumbridge as needed.
Levels 20 - 40
Once level 20 you should move to the Stronghold of Security and go to the minotaurs located on the first floor. From here until level 40 you will be killing these as well as the wolves as you get higher level.
It is also highly recommended to complete Animal Magnetism to get Ava's attractor/accumulator which retrieves most ammo while training Ranged. This saves a lot of time and money so you don't have to be picking up your ammo after each kill.
Tip: You can use the safespot which is located right when you walk into the first two doors on the left, just keep left and move up 3 tiles (Note: this is recommended for lower level players).
Levels 40 - 60
At level 40 Ranged it's highly recommended to go to either Rock Crabs north-east of Rellekka or Ogres east of Castle wars . Both of these training locations offer great experience and both have their advantages. Some choose to go to Rock Crabs because of the higher experience, whereas others would prefer to go to Ogres because they're less crowded and easier to afk.
- Ogres east of Castle Wars or at King Lathas's training ground.
- Flesh crawlers in the Stronghold of Security in Barbarian Village.
- Moss giants north-west of Ardougne or in the Varrock Sewer.
- Hill giants in the Edgeville Dungeon.
- Yaks on Neitiznot. (often crowded)
- The range competition at the range guild.
- Get Ava's attractor/accumulator.
- Green dragons at level 20 or 55+ Wilderness.(safespot)
- Fire giants after Waterfall Quest. (safespot)
- Rock crabs in Rellekka (often crowded) 200xp per kill
Experiment level-25 in Fenkenstrain's Dungeon - 400 experience per kill, low to no food cost, no Defense. may or may not be crowded.
Once you have achieved level 40 Ranged (and hopefully Defence) you can wear green d'hide armour (requires Dragon Slayer for body). Upon completion of the Fremennik Trials you can also wear an Archer helm (with 45 Defence).
Don't forget to switch blue dragonhide armor at level 50.
Levels 60 - 80
- Ankou in the Stronghold of Security. Also have good drops.
- TzHaar in the TzHaar city.
Another valid option for members between levels 65-70 is pest control, experience rates are between 15-30k experience p/h. One can go from 65-70 Ranged in about the same amount of time that it takes to obtain a complete set of void armour with 1 helmet
Ava's accumulator will decrease the amount of arrows lost by other players taking them
Levels 80 - 99
- Use Red chinchompas to kill Skeletons in the Ape Atoll Dungeon. Grey chinchompas may be a cheaper, slightly slower alternative.
- TzHaar in the Karamja Volcano.
- Nightmare Zone with extreme range and absorption potions can be a viable training method for anyone who cannot afford chinchompas. Using a blowpipe and steel darts, experience caps around 85k per hour, with minimal cost. A rune crossbow and broad bolts can be used instead, for a slightly cheaper, but slower, alternative.
Slayer is never a bad idea to train any combat skill because it adds variety to your training. Level 55 Slayer is required for using broad bolts which are as cheap as mithril bolts but have the same bonuses as adamant bolts. Slayer can result in good drops and consistent money making, as well as training more than 2 skills (Ranged, Slayer and Hitpoints). Another reason training Slayer is important for a ranger is because the quest, Animal Magnetism, requires level 18 Slayer (this can be bypassed with completion of the quest Wanted! which has no Slayer requirement and grants 5000 experience in Slayer to take you straight to level 20). Animal Magnetism gives a player the ability to purchase and use Ava's device, which is a great item to use in the cape slot. Slayer is recommended at any Ranged level.