The amount awarded depends on the quest, ranging from 1 to 6 points. A special case is Recipe for Disaster, since it is split up into 10 sub-quests, each awarding 1QP.
A full list of quests, sortable by name, amount of QP, official length and membership requirement can be found on the Quest point table.
Miniquests do not give QPs. However, two miniquests (Alfred Grimhand's Barcrawl and Enter the Abyss) are required to complete other quests that do give QPs, and thus to get the quest cape.
Some activities require a player to have at least a certain amount of quest points:
- 12 are needed to start Black Knights' Fortress.
- 20 are needed to start Enlightened Journey.
- At 32, players can enter the Champions' Guild, to begin the ultimate free-to-play quest, Dragon Slayer, and earn the right to wear the best free-to-play body armour.
- 43 to start the Tears of Guthix quest.
- 55 are required to start the Heroes' Quest, which allows access to the Heroes' Guild.
- 100 are required to start the Swan Song quest, which allows access to the Piscatoris Fishing Colony.
- 107 are one of the requirements to start the Legends' Quest, which admits players to the Legends' Guild.
- 175 are needed to start the end-fights of Recipe for Disaster.
- 200 are needed for Dragon Slayer II making it the highest requirement of any quest.
- Tears of Guthix is a minigame which can be played once a week and is unlocked by completing the quest of the same name. The more QPs a player has, the longer they can stay in the minigame, which means they will have the chance to collect more tears and get more experience in their lowest skill.
- Nightmare Zone is a minigame. The more QP a player has the more bosses a player can choose to fight in nightmare zone. Although this can be only chosen in Rumble mode and there will be a fee hanging around 22,000 coins for normal mode, and 26,000 coins for hard mode.
- Every 50 unlocks a block slot for Slayer tasks, up to 5 slots at 250.
- In 2001, completing some quests would add to the "influence" skill. Later, the "influence" skill was replaced by the quest point system.
- RuneScape Classic players could have up to 112 QPs.