Ranged is one of the three combat classes in RuneScape and RuneScape 2007. It involves using bows, crossbows, and thrown weapons to take down opponents, and wearing armor based off of various monsters' hides. Players who specialize in this skill are known as rangers or archers.
The Combat Triangle dictates that Rangers are strong against Mages and weak against Melee fighters.
Ranged's ability to attack from a distance means that a player can safespot a Melee monster while fighting from safety. Keep in mind that some Melee monsters have high Ranged defence, so a high ranged level may be needed. Crossbows are usefull against monster with high defense, as they are very accurate.
99 Ranged Guide:
- Levels 1-5 Buy a shortbow from another player, or an archery store in places like Varrock, and about 100 bronze arrows. From here travel to a place where level 2 goblins spawn, (preferably lumbridge) and shoot at goblins, picking up your arrows, until 5 ranged.
- Level 5-20 After achieving 5 range, go and buy an oak shortbow and more bronze arrows. Also optional, buy leather armor for the ranged attack and defence bonus. From here you can still range goblins until level 20, or you can go and kill cows, or any other low level monster you can find.
- Level 20-30 After 20 ranged, you can buy either a willow shortbow (cheaper, but slower exp) or you can buy iron knives (for expensive, but much faster exp.) Once you get either of these items, head over to the stronghold of security, and kill minotaurs on the first floor.
- Levels 30-40 From here, get either a maple shortbow or some more iron knives, and head over the barbarian village, and kill barbarians in the long house until 40 range.
- levels 40-50 Now at 40 range, you can wear dragonhide. If you can, buy some green dragonhide as it will help your defence bonus and ranged attack bonus greatly. Also at 40 ranged, it is advised to pick up a yew shortbow, or get some more iron knives. From 40-50 ranged, you can go to rock crabs, north of Rellekka, or to hill giants, in the edgeville dungeon.
- Levels 50-55 from here, you should pick up some blue dragonhide, and either a magic shortbow or more iron knives. Kill some more hill giants or rock crabs for the quick 5 levels.
- Levels 55-99 expensive method: From level 55, pick up as many red chinchompas as you can, and go to the tunnels under Ape Atoll (requires Monkey Madness completed) and use red chins (on medium fuse) and the monkey skeletons. Also to do this method you will NEED 43 prayer and prayer potions. This (in 2007 Runescape) is THE FASTEST way to 99 ranged.
- Levels 55-99 cheaper way. From level 55, you need to buy as many iron knives as you can, and go kill rock crabs, or experiments. This method is MUCH slower than the method above, but is much much cheaper than using red chins.
- After achieveing 99 ranged, go pick up a skillcape and look like a beast!
- Money Making:
- After 50 range you can pick up a magic shortbow and blue dragonhide. After you get these, head on over to the TzHaar city, and safespot Tzhaar-Kets behind the geysers. These monsters drop obby mauls, shields, capes which go for well over 50k each, making this very profitable if you get lucky. They have decent defense and can hit very hard, so be careful.
- Monsters with reasonably low ranged defense include chromatic dragons, demons and yaks.